Thursday, July 23, 2009

Forget Iced-Tea, THIS is the BEST STUFF ON EARTH!!






Update on the job search...

From Vicky: I landed a new teaching job in SANTA MONICA!!!! And I owe a piece of my success to you for your amazing encouragement and positivity!!! Thank you thank you thank you for keeping me sharp with my resume and keeping the spirit alive!!! We MUST hang when I get back to the island, which I will be able to do since the money will be SO much nicer than what I was making this year!

I'm so proud of Vicky...just days back she was feeling like her budding career was smashed out like a half-smoked cigarette, after receiving the news of her unexpected lay-off. This was a normal reaction, but from such a seemingly strong person like Vicky? That isn’t the Vicky we’ve all grown to know and appreciate! However when any professional is handed this unfortunate decision, it’s a normal reaction to feel muted and as though there are few career options ahead in this unique job market.

So Vicky and I got to work! We identified her challenges and faced them head-on. We took out the red pen and went to work updating her resume to truly express her depth of knowledge, strengths and contributions to both her employers and her students. We found new ways to get interviews for job openings, dispelling rumors that no one is hiring today. And with a deep breath, some new tools and a lifted confidence, Vicky headed back into the market space, ready and willing to talk shop with any and all relevant prospects.

Vicky thanked me…but she really needs to thank herself as well. I’m a coach, I only influenced her direction and decisions, Vicky got the gumption and made it happen! (…and I bet, no - I know, it didn’t even hurt a bit!)
Go get ‘em Vicky!!! You are an inspiration to job seekers everywhere!!
~Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff! This just reinforces that fact that comapnies are hiring. Just clear out the clutter, focus on the opportunity in front of you and let your personality and skills shine through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! This just reinforces that fact that companies (I hate typos, even mine)are hiring. Just clear out the clutter, focus on the opportunity in front of you and let your personality and skills shine through.

    ReplyDelete