Thursday, April 28, 2011

Q&A: When I asked about salary on my Interview, things changed...

Q: Everything seemed to be going great as we wrapped up my interview when I was asked if I had any additional questions. I was excited and having learned so many details about the company, the job, their expectations and goals, I asked about the annual salary and benefits plan. As the words came out of my mouth, the recruiter’s expression completely change…it was as if I said their family pet died.
Needless to say, I never got a call back for a second interview.

Was I so wrong asking this one question that it negated all of my years of relevant abilities and actually disqualified me from being considered for the job?





A: Frustrating as it may be to hear yes, you may as well have erased your years of related experience and applicable skills when you asked about the compensation package during your first meeting.

Even during these more than trying economical times, first interviews are always all about the potential employer and that company’s needs to hire a qualified professional…after all, that’s why you were invited into their office, right?

Going forward remember, first interviews mean NO “me-questions.” If you are successful at sharing your strengths and accomplishments as they relate to the job description, you will likely be asked back for a second interview where you may ask general “me-questions” towards the end of your meeting.



Don’t forget, until the company formerly extends you a written job offer, the salary, benefits and parking spots technically don’t matter!


No comments:

Post a Comment